At Ventus Respiratory Technologies we are setting a new standard for respiratory protection for armed forces, law enforcement, and first responders. Firing ranges, breaching, and emergency response operations expose personnel to harmful airborne contaminants, including lead, asbestos, mold, and more. We are addressing the established problem of toxic particulate exposure to protect the health and vitality of those who protect us.
High particulate toxic pollution exposure can occur in multiple environments and occupations, but none are more striking than those experienced by Military and Police personnel, particularly in operations or high-volume training situations (1). Toxic exposure for personnel is often the result of combustion-related activities that include environmental/structure fires, burn pits, burning of fossil fuels, explosions, high-volume weapons training, and specific theatres of operation in developing countries.
The most studied health complication is repetitive exposure to gunfire and subsequent lead poising due to the high concentrations of aerosolized lead and heavy metals from weapons exhaust and solvents. Lead has been a choice material, used for generations, for its soft and malleable properties, its ability to resist corrosion and be non-conductive. However, it cannot be understated, no amount of lead is considered safe in the human body. Symptoms of exposure include shortness of breath, decreased libido, increased fatigue, laboured breathing, and bleeding in the lungs (4). No physiological system in the human body is left unaffected from elevated blood lead levels.
Ventus TR2 is respiratory protection with zero compromise to performance.
- Tactical: Designed from the ground up together with Tier 1 operators to provide superior protection without compromising performance.
- No training scars: Streamlined design that allows a proper cheek weld while maintaining a seal, while maintaining sight-lines for exceptional situational awareness.
- Compact, Rugged, and Lightweight: 40% lighter than the competition allowing for comfort and extended wear.
- Integrated Communications: The TR2 mic kit delivers clear communications free of ambient sounds such as breathing and wind sheer. The IP67-rated microphone delivers rugged low profile communications with left or right installation options.
- Maximum Breathability: The TR2's high-flow exit valve directs exhaled air down and away from the user's face, providing maximum breathability and minimizing eye-wear fogging.
- TR2 replaceable filter cartridges: Simple and quick filter replacement, filtering 97% of solid airborne particulates down to 0.3µm. Filter housing is made from biodegradable plastic.
- Integration Capabilities: Helmet accessory is compatible with numerous helmet rail systems; built-in flex zones allow for improved comfort and head articulations.
The role of the lungs and the respiratory system is to take in oxygen from the environment and deliver it to the bloodstream, providing the entire body with oxygenated blood. Though the respiratory system has remarkable resilience to air pollution via its repeated mobilization of defense and repair mechanisms, constant exposure to elevated toxins contribute to reduced respiratory function and illnesses well past retirement from service (2).
Let's talk about how the TR2 will work for your application. Contact us
- Rivera et al. New-Onset Asthma and Combat Deployment. Findings of the Millenium Cohort Study. Am J Epidemiol 2018 Oct; 187(10):2136-2144
- Long-term health consequences of exposure to burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press, 2011.
- Administration, US Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Health “Burns pits – Public Health” . publichealth.va.gov. Retrieval 2020-04-15
- Environmental Protection Agency: EPA.Gov. Particle Pollution and Respiratory Effects.